ten thousand nets campaign
Ten Thousand Nets is a Denver based campaign designed to focus on the eradication of malaria deaths by raising awareness, raising funds for bed nets, providing education to the city of Denver about malaria, and creating a connection to our partners, The ONE Campaign, Malaria No More, and The Church in Denver.
ONE is a campaign and advocacy organisation with more than 2 million members committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. Cofounded by Bono and other campaigners, ONE is nonpartisan and works closely with African policy makers and activists.
Malaria No More is determined to end malaria deaths. A non-profit, non-governmental organization, Malaria No More makes high-yield investments of time and capital to speed progress, unlock resources, mobilize new assets and spur the world toward reaching this goal.
The Church in Denver is representative of all the local faith communities in the Denver Metro area who have joined together to fight malaria. Each local faith community that is involved will be able to contribute to the overall goal of raising enough funds for 10,000 Bed Nets. The Church in Denver is simply a starting point to empower those who are a part of their local church or parish to volunteer at Ten Thousand Nets Events in Denver, and to support anyone who wishes to raise awareness and funds in the fight against malaria.
The Brave represents the unsung, beaten down, per-severing millions. the brave souls in the global community, whose lives are a testa-ment to the bright human spirit. The ones who fight, everyday, to survive, to endure, to live.
Strings and Wood's heart is to provide an avenue and platform, through the promotion of live music, social justice, and visual art, for people to celebrate their innate ability to live artistically, aesthetically, and creatively. Ultimately, our purpose is to promote expressions of artistry, while being sensitive to the beauty that is all around us and playing our part in adding to it…whether it's through live music, visual art, or creatively giving back to social causes.
The Colorado Rapids Soccer Club is the Major League Soccer Club in Colorado and the 2010 MLS Cup Champions. The Colorado Rapids are committed to being an important part of our local community and to improving the lives of children. Our players, coaches, and staff recognize the special needs of those in our community and in growing the game of soccer. The Rapids are thrilled to partner with the Ten Thousand Nets Campaign again this year.
What is Malaria?
- Malaria is considered to be one of the oldest known diseases. There are 5,000-year-old Chinese medical texts that speak about malaria.
- It is believed that up to one-half of all humans who have ever lived were killed as a result of malaria.
- Malaria is a blood infection caused by a tiny parasite that is carried by mosquitoes that can, if untreated, cause death.
- Malaria is preventable, treatable, and curable.
Who is affected by malaria?
- More than 40% of the world’s population is at risk to contract malaria.
- More than 400 million cases of malaria occur worldwide each year.
- Pregnant women are at greater risk of contracting malaria.
- Those most likely to die from the disease are children under the age of 5.
What are the effects of malaria?
- An estimated 1,000,000 people die each year from malaria.
- 90% of malaria deaths are in Sub-Saharan Africa, and 75% of those deaths are children.
- Malaria kills one child every 30 seconds, which means one child will die while as you read this document.
- On the continent of Africa alone over $12,000,000,000 is spent every year on malaria.
- Because so much money is spent combating malaria many African nations experience only a slight rise in their annual Gross Domestic Product (GDP) every year.
What you can do to fight malaria
- The first step is awareness. Simply telling your friends, your family, and people in your circle of influence about the realities of malaria. Feel free to make copies of this fact sheet and hand it out to anyone you meet.
- As people become more aware of the problem of malaria, they need to learn about how they can be a part of the solution, so that malaria will continue to shrink back.
- You can give $10 for an insecticide treated bed net. One bed net can last 3-5 years, which means for less than a penny per day, you can give someone a second chance.
- Your $10 covers the making and distribution of the net and education on the ground for those who are receiving the nets.
- To learn more visit www.malarianomore.org and www.one.org.
There are no events at this time.
Ten Thousand Nets will have events all throughout the summer.
Create Your Own Event
Passionate about seeing an end to malaria? Want to see more nets hanging above beds in our world? Then create your own Ten Thousand Nets Event! From birthday parties, to school dances, to a barbeque in your back yard, change begins with you. Our partners at Malaria No More have a list of ideas and ways for you to get involved. Click here for some ideas.
Download these resources for your Ten Thousand Nets Event.
Sign up here to receive updates from ten thousand nets!
Your gift will help deliver a life-saving mosquito net to at-risk families in Africa and provide education and support for malaria prevention. Please help us make the end of malaria deaths our generation's greatest humanitarian achievement.
There are two ways to donate:
Text "DENVER" to 85944 and $10 will be added to your mobile phone bill.